Thursday 13 July 2017

Trends in the Field

My field is Medical Radiography, and the end result is becoming an x-ray technologist. There are a few trends that are occurring in our field which will directly affect my role as an educator and an x-ray technologist. The two I would like to mention are the profession joining a college. This seems inevitable, that we will be joining the college of diagnostic and therapeutic health professions.  The college is meant to protect the public and will in turn have specific requirements of its' members, such as educational standards, and continued education credits. There will also be new or modified standards of practice and ethics. These changes will affect my courses in the future as I will have to make the necessary adaptations in course outcomes and learning activities. Having an educational requirement for each technologist annually may also create an opportunity for me to instruct new classes and develop in-services for credits that will cover what the technologist's would like to know more about. I think this is a great opportunity for me and the college. As a technologist in the field this new change will force/encourage me to keep up to date, which should lead to more enjoyment in the career, and potentially new roles at the workplace. My one fear is finding time and money to take extra courses , as at times the demands of the job already feel like a lot. Will the technologist population feel that they are being forced to do this or will they embrace the new requirements? As mentioned in previous education books in the PIDP program the adult learner does enjoy autonomy. I guess they will have some though because I do not know if there are only specific subjects that will get educational credits. Lots to think about and get explained before the switch is made. It would be nice if  the workplace provided a way to achieve some of theses credits during in-services as well.

Another trend that is occurring is the advanced practice role for radiological technologists. Reasoning behind this potential change is due to population growth and service provider numbers declining. One of the roles would be a radiologist assistant. "This role would take the lead in patient assessment, management and education as well as perform selected radiological procedures as delegated by the radiologist." (Paul, 2009) These new changes could change our whole program and therefore the whole curriculum. This change would also affect me as a technologist in the hospital setting because as roles change in the workplace my skills, if they do not adapt, will be come less favorable to an employer, as I will not be as flexible. It is kind of scary  because you have trained for this job and over time the job changes due to demands and if you do not keep adapting then you will be unable to be employed. I think this will be difficult for everyone in the profession, especially those who have been in the job for decades. How will the job sites, the college, and educational institutions provide a way for all employers to meet the demands of the workplace?

Overall, the changes that are occurring in our field greatly affect what is happening in my classroom and the workforce as I will have to keep up to date and ensure that my course outline and outcomes are meeting the standards set by the college and the workplace. This may also include a change in how the program is structured. Basically, I will have to keep learning and adapting.



References:

Paul, D. (2009). An overview of initiatives relating to advanced practice role development for radiological technologists. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences, 40(3), 90-99.

No comments:

Post a Comment